Let us look if kiwi is good for dogs.
Kiwi fruit has a unique fuzzy brown appearance and has a greenish flesh inside the same with dark seeds in the middle. It has a unique flavor and this small fruit is packed with loads of nutrients.
If you are eating Kiwi and thinking if you can treat your dog with the same, then Yes you can give Kiwi to your pooch and he can eat the same. Just keep it as an occasional treat and not regular diet. It would be best to peel the skin and remove the kiwi fruit seeds.
Nutrients in Kiwi
Kiwi may look like a small fruit but do not get fooled by its appearance. It is packed with loads of nutrients. It has git more Vitamin C than orange and more potassium than a banana.
1 kiwi fruit is about 70 gm and contains below nutrients.
- 42 calories (cal)
- 215 milligrams (mg) of potassium, or 5 percent recommended daily value (DV)
- 1 g of dietary fiber, or 8 percent DV
- 8 g of protein, or 2 percent DV
- 23 mg of calcium, or 2 percent DV
- 64 mg of vitamin C, or 107 percent DV
- 2 g of sugar
- 1 mg of vitamin E, or 5 percent DV
- 8 micrograms (mcg) of vitamin K, or 35 percent DV
- 7 mg of magnesium, or 3 percent DV
- 60 international units (IU) of vitamin A, or 1 percent DV
- 17 mcg of folate
Benefits of Kiwi fruit to dogs
Kiwi has many nutrients that has lots of health benefits for humans but do they provide enough benefits to our dogs as well? Yes they do. Here are a few –
Anti cancer – Kiwi has flavonoids and cartenoids that are known for reducing oxidative DNA damage that prevents cancer.
Respiratory Health – Kiwi is packed with Vitamin C that helps preventing the respiratory diseases. Do note that this helps dogs that has deficiency in Vitamin C as Dogs produce their own Vitamin C.
Eye Health – Kiwi helps preventing the macular degenartion of the eyes which is the leading cause of eye blindness in dogs
Laxative – Kiwi is rich in fiber and helps increasing bowel movements. If your vet asks you to increase fiber content for an over weight dog, Kiwi can be one of the choice for treat.
Pre Natal – Kiwi is rich in folate and may help pregnant dogs with health benefits.
Things to be aware
We have seen above that Kiwi is beneficial to dogs but do note it is not as beneficial to them as to us humans. Dogs make their own Vitamins. Kiwi is good for them as a treat and not as a regular diet. Let us look at few aspects which you should know before your dog can eat kiwi.
- Kiwi is a small fruit and dog may try to eat it in one go which may become a choking hazard. Always chop the fruit before you give him to eat.
- Some dogs as like humans may be allergic to Kiwi. Hence always start with small quantity and watch for any allergic symptoms like itching, digestive issues etc.
- It is ideal to remove the skin of kiwi. Kiwi skin may have pesticides on it if not washed properly. Skin is also hard and may not be digested by the dog which may become a blockage risk in the intestines.
- Kiwi seeds are believed to be toxic to dogs. Note: While we did delved every where we were not able to find any credible resource to verify the same.
How to give Kiwi to dogs?
We would like to suggest few ways which helps prevent health risks.
- Procure your kiwi fruit from a local organic farm thus you are sure to avoid any harmful effect of pesticides.
- Wash the kiwi fruit thoroughly so that any dirt or inedible substances are removed.
- Peel out the skin so as to avoid any blockage in the intestines as skin may not be digested by the dog.
- Chop kiwi fruit in small pieces before giving it to your dog.
- Do not add any sugar as Kiwi is already sweet.
- Start Kiwi in small quantity and observe for any allergic reactions. This is to ensure that your dog is not allergic to Kiwi. If he is, avoid the kiwi fruit.
- Use Kiwi as an occasional treat and not as a regular diet.
Check out if your dog can eat Asparagus- https://www.yourdogsworld.com/b/dog-eat-asparagus/
Kiwi was originally grown in the wild of China and hence is also known as “Chinese gooseberry”. A school teacher brought back this fruit from China to New Zealand. That is where this fruit was given the name of local popular bird Kiwi.
Finally, yes dogs can eat Kiwi fruit in moderation as an occasional treat. It is advisable to remove the skin and the seeds inside. This would help as a new flavor to him and he may like his treat.
- Can dogs eat eggshell? Is it safe? - March 23, 2020
- Can dogs eat kiwi fruit? Is Kiwi good for Dogs? - January 16, 2020
- Can dogs eat tomatoes? Are Tomatoes Safe For Dogs? - January 2, 2020