Let us check on the dogs that are great for apartment living and factors that you should look for.
Are you a dog lover and living in the apartment and worried how would dog adept in your flat and surroundings?
Let us look at some of the best that you can prefer for apartment living.
Factors to consider dogs for apartment living –
- Enough space for him – Apartments are not usually the one having large sizes. Hence apartment owners should and most often prefer small dogs thus giving them enough space.
- Exercise needs – While Apartments are good for social living but one of the con is that it doesn’t have much space where you can leave your dog without the harness and let it play by their own.
- Barking levels and polite behavior with neighbors – Apartment is more for social living hence one should be careful that his dog barking doesn’t make the neighbors uncomfortable.
- Shedding – Dogs shedding much may be difficult specially if you are allergic.
- Training – Being in apartment and living closely with neighbors means you should have your dogs under control with training which he should be adaptable.
With these factors in mind, let us check the best dogs that you can choose to own while living in apartment.
Bichon Frise is small and cheerful dog that adapts well for apartment living. They also do not shed much and hence good for folks having dog allergies. But they do have lots of energy and need small walk as their routine exercise.
French bulldogs are known for being a companion dog. They are small dogs that are great for families living in the apartment. Though if you want to leave home alone for long at home, he is not the dog for you.
They are not good with heat and are good in air conditioned environment. Small exercises daily is enough for them.
Poodles are highly intelligent and quite adept to training and hence goes well for apartment living as well. They also shed very less and hence good for folks who are allergic to dogs. They need some exercise so be sure on the daily walks.
Pugs are great for apartment living. They are small dogs that are intelligent but difficult to train. They are cheerful and happy and love being the center of attraction. A great choice for a family.
As they have double coat, they do shed and hence get ready with a good vacuum cleaner if you want to own one.
Basenji are known for being a bark less dogs. They are small highly intelligent dogs from Africa who are known for not barking and shedding little.
While this is good for those staying in apartments, they are also known for not obeying much and are difficult to train. They will need your regular time for exercising and playing.
Yorkshire Terrier or Yorkie is one of the best apartments dogs that fits well for apartment living. They can have their exercised needs done with in the apartment. They don’t shed much as well. Though they are stubborn and difficult to train and sometimes be yappy in barking.
Havanese dogs are known for their silky hairs and expressive eyes. They shed less and does well for apartment living. Havanese love to be your companion but at the same time may become difficult if left alone for long. They are energetic dogs who can be trained relatively easily.
Shih Tzu literally means Little Lion but is not at all fierce. They are happy to go dogs that adopts well for apartment living. They don’t shed much but needs their time for grooming of their hairs. Shih Tzus can also be trained with relative ease.
Maltese are known for their long silky hairs. They are small dogs who don’t shed much and don’t need lots of exercise and hence are suitable for apartments.
Sometimes they may not gel well with small children or other dogs as he may become protective of his own space.
German Spitz is one of the oldest dog breeds of Europe. Due to their small size they go well for apartments.
They do shed but if you want an energetic small dog that keeps you busy, you can look up to a German Spitz.
Chihuahua is the smallest dog breed in the world and is named after the Mexican state of Chihuahua. Coming in variety of colors, Chihuahua’s are really small and weigh less than 3 Kgs.
Though small in size and good for apartment living, they can be avoided for families having small children.
Looking for remedies to reduce dog shedding — https://www.yourdogsworld.com/dog-shedding-home-remedies/
Looking for dogs that do not shed — https://www.yourdogsworld.com/dogs-that-do-not-shed/
- 10 child-friendly dog breeds | Dogs for kids - September 14, 2020
- 5 best kevlar like toys for dogs | Are they indestructible? - June 1, 2020
- Sarabi Mastiff ( Ultimate guide with size & temperament ) - May 27, 2020